Friday, March 13, 2015

It's A Miracle - My BEST Baked Tilapia Recipe




Ok, so I have been making baked fish for years. Cod, haddock, salmon - we've never need too adventurous with fish, but tilapia has always turned out rubbery or just not tasty for me. 



One thing that makes a big difference is thawing your fish. I'm not always ahead of the game - an living in Wisconsin, fresh  seafood is not really an option (or at least one that my family can afford). 

Another thing that has made a difference for me is that, since tilapia fillets are pretty thin, they cook quick. Like, super quick. When they are thawed, that is. 



That being said, even my Dad, who is not a fish lover, really liked this fish. Our kiddos really enjoyed it too, I kept the cayenne light, of course, so remember to use your personal taste preference, too. 

Other modification I used was Dijon mustard instead of dry mustard and no chili powder (we were out of both). I will try this again using both, but know that the recipe is pretty forgiving I you find yourself in a similar situation :)



What You Need:

1/4 cup organic olive oil
3 cloves organic garlic, minced or pressed (can use powder if necessary)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp dried mustard (or Dijon mustard)
1 tsp organic oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
4-6 tilapia filets, thawed 

What To Do:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a pie pan or rimmed shallow bowl, combine olive oil, garlic and seasonings.

Dip/lay each filet into the seasoning and place it on the baking sheet.

Pour any remaining seasoning over the filets on the sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven.

Bake 10-12 minutes. 

Tip: You may broil for the last couple minutes if you like a more crisp top ;)


Recipe adapted from: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1589790

No comments:

Post a Comment