Saturday, January 17, 2015

Break-The-Fast: Slow Cooker Banana Pecan Oatmeal



In an attempt to make my husband's early mornings with our kiddos a little easier (God Bless him, he let's me sleep in if the baby is sleeping, and he fixes breakfast for the others), I've been dreaming of slow cooker oatmeal. 



Crazy thing is, I've only tried it once, and it wasn't my favorite. But I'm not giving up! I did what any self respecting, recipe searching Mom does - I looked on Pinterest :)

Truth is, I'm drawn to clean recipes with pretty pictures. And I needed groceries, the only fresh fruit we had in the house was 2 bananas. This recipe fit the bill. And the photos are beautiful! Ha!

(Photo: Thelemonbowl.com - see, pretty, right?)


So, adapted from thelemonbowl.com (we were out of whole milk, too!), I give you Slow Cooker Banana Pecan Oatmeal:

What You Need
1 c organic steel cut oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp organic ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal
2 ripe organic bananas
1/4 - 1/2 c pecan halves or pieces
2 c water
2 c organic whole milk or organic non-dairy milk (I used organic rice/quinoa because it was in the pantry for such a time as this!)

Put It Together
Mash 1 banana, combine all other ingredients in slow cooker, stir well. Set slow cooker to low for 8 hours (if it's a little longer, that's ok too). After 8 hours, fluff with fork, make sure it was well combined. Serve hot with sliced banana and a few more pecans, if desired. Also, this is not a super sweet breakfast - we like it with just natural banana sweetness. You could add a drizzle of real maple syrup or honey if that's how you like it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment